Why You Should Think Of Life Like A Video Game

So I've been doing a lot of thinking lately, well, and also a lot of procrastinating (mainly because of the whole comfort zone thing, but that's another post), and I've been thinking that we should think of life as a video game. Not in the sense that we should go out and shoot people and steal their cars like in Grand Theft Auto, but by adopting the same mentality that you have when you play a video game, to other aspects in life. I am also not saying that you should not be aware of the consequences of your actions, as what you do in real life matters greatly, and what you do in a video game does not matter at all outside of the video game. What I'm saying is you should have the same approach to how you think about each situation.

When you play a video game, you know that there is a way to beat the video game and win. Whether it is a role playing game, an arcade game, or an insanely evil game like Shift 2, you know that even if you don't know how to win, that there is some way to win the game. So what does this mean? Well, it means you try, and you try, and you try, and you try, until you either win, or you become bored with the game. I know that I myself will die many times in Shift 2, but I will just keep going because I know that there is some way to beat it.

You may be thinking, what does this have to do with life? And you would be right to think that, and I'm going to tell you what this has to do with life. You see, when people want something they try to go after it, but often times they don't do all that they can, or they give up too easily, because they don't believe it is possible. But the thing is, most things are possible, you just have to find a way to do it. This is where the video game metaphor comes in. When you play a video game, you have no doubt that you can win, because you know whoever created the game made it possible to win. This is how you should think about life. If you want something in life, you should start out with the belief that it is possible to get this thing that you want, you just have to figure out a way to get it. Instead of thinking maybe I'll get it, or going after it halfheartedly because you doubt yourself. But if you just think of it like a video game, it will be much easier to go after it, because yo will have belief in yourself. If you do not believe in yourself, how can you expect to get anywhere, or expect others to believe in you? If you want something, you are the one who has to set it in motion.

Let's look at an example to better understand this metaphor. Let's say you want to run your own business, whether it's a restaurant, or flower shop doesn't matter. You will still have similar obstacles to tackle before your business becomes a success. You will have to find the money to start it, maybe you'll have to take a college course or two, to learn how to run a business. Let's say you do these things, and you start your business, and things go well for the first few weeks. But then things start to take a turn for the worst. You get barely any customers and you have trouble paying your bills. You may be tempted to think, I should just quit now. There's no way I'm going to make it out of this. I'm a failure and I was stupid to even try to pursue my dreams. I should just get a "real" job. This type of negative thinking does nothing to help people achieve what they want. Quite often the path to success is not easy, and if you want to succeed you have to try numerous times to get where you want to be. This is where the video game metaphor comes in. In a video game if you die, you don't think you're a failure, you just think you died and are momentarily upset, and know that you need to learn how to beat the level so you can get to the next one and win the game. When you apply this thinking to the example, you would think something like this: What I'm doing currently isn't working out so well. How can I turn this around? Maybe I should advertise on social media? Or maybe I should hold another grand opening, or some big sale? Or I could talk to some popular bloggers and get them to review my business for a gift card or discount? You see, there are always ways out of a situation, you just have to look for them, and go after them, even when things get tough. Also, it may help to take a step back from the situation, and look at what you're doing so you can see the picture more clearly. Additionally, although this example features a business, you can apply this strategy to anything which you want in life.

 I hope this post has helped you have the motivation to keep going after what you want, even when things seem bleak. I also feel obliged to say that I have not necessarily tried this method yet, but have only been thinking about it lately. I do believe in it though, and I am going to try to adopt this mentality. To sum up the post: when things go wrong, or your career isn't where you want it to be, don't think negatively. Don't blame yourself, or others, or think that you're worthless or stupid. You just haven't gotten there yet. Instead, think what can I do to get to where I want to be? How can I achieve the goal I want? If you think this way, and actively go after what you want, the chances are you will get to where you want to be, it may just take some time.

What do you think about thinking of life as if it were a video game?

Comments