Human Nature

I'm sitting here at my desk preparing to write a blog post for you. It's cloudy out, slightly windy, looks like it might rain. I know, you don't give a damn about the weather. You want to know why you're here and what I can do for you. Whether I can entertain you, make you laugh, or give you some valuable piece of information that you probably could have came up with on your own if you really tried hard enough.

Well sorry to disappoint you, but I don't have anything mind boggling to say today. I would however, like to talk a little bit about human nature (yes I know I'm not actually talking but typing words that you will read at some point in the future). Human nature is an odd thing. We all have it, well, unless you're not human....in which case please tell me in the comments what you think of human nature from a nonhuman perspective. But for the rest of us, we all have it.

When I talk about human nature, I mean things like what draws us toward other human beings or what pushes them away. If you don't know, I'm working on writing a book right now, and trust is an issue that comes up in the book. How do you know if you can trust someone? People always say that trust has to be earned, but really, we need to trust people right away every day. If we get into a taxi, we need to trust that the guy is not a serial killer. That may be a bit extreme, but tell me that you don't judge people at least initially by how they look. I mean we're always saying "don't judge a book by it's cover" but how does one decide whom to talk to at social conventions? How do we decide who we want to date? We judge people by what they look like all the time.

I know, I'm not really making a lot of sense. But in my defense, I did warn you about this in the second paragraph. You choose not to listen. Or skimmed it. Either way, you're here now, so let me try and make some sense of this rambling blog post.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that we can't overcome the human desire to judge someone by how they look. But what we can do, is look deeper than that. So basically I just told you what pretty much every person has probably preached at one point or another in their life. But people still seem to judge people on the surface, so maybe it needs to be said again.

Another possible point to this post is that people are going to judge you. Whatever image you put out into the world is the one that people are going to see you as
. So if you don't like how people see you, think about what image you are projecting. That doesn't mean that you should change your image to be what people want, but you should decide if you like your image. If you do, keep it. If not, think about why? Why don't you like it? What do you want to change about it?

To sum this post up, I basically told you what you probably already know or could have figured out on your own, but again, I warned you at the beginning. Also, sometimes people need a reminder even if they already know what they should be doing. Otherwise, there would not be so many self help books, blog posts, and websites out there.

Tell me in the comments what your thoughts on human nature are. Or don't. The choice is yours.


Comments