Book Review: Rings on her Fingers by Regina Welling

22072831Rings on her fingers, bells on her toes, and she shall have music, wherever she goes. Before I even start this review I have to say that I am in love with the titles of this series. I thought the first book Rings on her Fingers was cute but when I found out the other books in this series were also named from the nursery rhyme I was ecstatic. I don’t know why this makes me so happy, but I think I just like when names and covers in a series work together. It also seems to fit this series really well, even though I’ve only read the first book so far.

Rings on her Fingers by Regina Welling is a mystery novel with a dash of romance thrown into the mix. It is the first book in the Psychic Seasons series. There’s Julie, who is a non-believer who gets thrown into the I pretty much have to believe or convince myself I’m insane pot. There is Gustavia, who has always believed and is like family to Julie. There is Logan, who is engaged to Julie, and well, you’ll see how that turns out pretty quickly into the book. And there is Tyler, who always manages to just tag along. Oh, yeah, there’s some mysterious magic garden too, a treasure hunt to find said magic garden, and ghosts.

I found this book quite enjoyable to read. It’s light hearted and fun, but it also has enough tension in it to make it interesting. Welling has also made it easy for readers to identify with the characters no matter your beliefs, as she has the skeptic side covered with Julie, and the full on believer side with Gustavia. To clarify we’re talking about psychic beliefs like auras, and mediums, and not orthodox religion. There is also quite a bit of girl power in this novel and it is really sweet seeing how the characters come together in such an easy way.

The book isn’t super action packed, but is more of a delving into the characters’ lives kind of book. We get to see how they live and how relationships crumple or strengthen. Which is nice. I also like the point of view Welling used. She wrote in third person omniscient so we get to see what everyone is thinking, and we know things before the characters know them, instead of just focusing on one or two characters.

The cover reminded me a bit of that commercial with the women and the bushes in front of their lower part, with the razor they’re using to shave the bush. But that could just be me. I still really like the cover though, and I’m pretty sure that wasn’t intentional and most people probably won’t put that connection together. I do like how the different books have the same tree, just in a different season. That fits very well with the story.

I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who likes a treasure hunt, and wants something fun and light to read by beach. Or anywhere really. What is with people saying just because it’s summer, you have to read on the beach? I swear, people are so strange sometimes.


Comments